Church Organs

We are in a somewhat unusual position of having two organs.   

One of the instruments is a pipe organ by Lewis & Co Ltd which was built in 1897 and installed in Regent Place Church, Dennistoun, Glasgow.  The instrument was transferred to Stamperland in 1962 where it was installed by James Mackenzie and recommissioned in 1964.  

The Lewis pipe organ was awarded a Historic Organ Certificate Grade II* by the British Institute of Organ Studies in January 2017 in recognition of its importance to the national heritage as a significant, surviving example of Lewis & Co's late 19th century output to a design of Alfred Hollins and retaining the original patent combination key-touches.  

1897 was a significant year in the history of Lewis & Co and was the year in which the great organ of Southwark Cathedral was built.  The Stamperland organ would have been under construction in the same workshop and at the same time as the cathedral instrument.   Four years later two of the great organs in Glasgow - at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and in the Bute Hall at Glasgow University -  were built by Lewis & Co. 

The Lewis pipe organ requires requires a significant amount of maintenance and refurbishment work to restore it to its full potential. In anticipation of the refurbishment, during which time the organ would be out of commission, an opportunity arose to purchase and install a Viscount Envoy 35F digital organ in the summer of 2016. 

At present, both organs are playable.  The digital organ has been tuned to the same pitch as the Lewis pipe organ.  This permits two organists to play "duets"; indeed, with the Viscount organ having the capability to digitally record and then play-back, it is possible for a single organist to effectively play both organs "simultaneously". 

Further information about the two organs can be accessed by clicking the links below.


 

      Lewis Organ                    Viscount Organ